What A Poor Pharmacist
for a weary soul like mine

Currently Playing:
Tears
by X-Japan

Lyrics

doko ni yukebaii
anata to hanarete
ima wa sugisatta
toki ni toikakete

nagasugita yoru ni
tabidachi wo yume mita
ikoku no sora mitsumete
kodokuwo dakishimete

nanagareru namida wo
toki no kaze ni kasanete
owaranai anata no
toiki wo kanjite
dry your tears with love
dry your tears with love

Loneliness, your silent whisper
Fills a river of tears through the night
Memory, you never let me cry
And you, you never said goodbye

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost our dreams along the way
But I'd never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Time through the rain has set me free
Sands of time will keep your memory
Love everlasting, fades away
Alive within your beatless heart

dry your tears with love
dry your tears with love

nanagareru namida wo
toki no kaze ni kasanete
owaranai anata no
aoi bara ni kaete

dry your tears with love
dry your tears with love

nanagareru namida wo
toki no kaze ni kasanete
owaranai anata no
toiki wo kanjite

dry your tears with love
dry your tears with love
dry your tears with love
dry your tears with love



Friday, March 24, 2006


Different paths

Went to do medical checkup for my philippines trip today. A little dismayed as i came out of the doc's room: he would not clear me, reason being: i have (still) uncontrolled epilepsy.

Yep, despite being on drugs, the last attack was a few months ago... well all this while, while preparing for the trip I have been quite lucky to be fit-free, but the dangers of having an attack there in a foreign land where medical aid is uncertain are still present. All along i thought i could make it, that the doctor would, based on my personal consent, pass me.

He didn't and he gave ample reasoning: having an attack demands immediate medical attention from the people around. Should the attack last for >5 minutes or repeated attacks should happen, the brain tissues suffer hypoxia and might die. This condition is known as status epilepticus. Immediate medical attention is needed, if i'm not wrong, diazepam is given (rectal) to stop the seizures.

I never had status epilepticus before. I think. All my attacks were about <5 minutes, occuring once every time. That was according to my parents. But what about those when nobody was around? Not sure. Hence there was a possibility that i might have experienced it, and a further real possibility that i might experience it again. However slight the possibility, it is still present.

What he said really stopped me in my tracks. Previously i had not considered that this might happen, true the medication i took religiously everyday, and the dizziness and headaches were becoming routine. For about 7-8 months, since i entered university, I felt normal, if normal was the way to describe any other NUS student going about his business.

I do not go around considering myself a person with epilepsy, therefore i must have certain benefits, etc. It doesn't feel good when you think of yourself as a handicap, and a major one at that, having to have a caretaker "just in case". It doesn't feel good when others think of you as an invalid, a person that you must watch out for.

A burden, if that's the word. A liability.

I want to play, i want to study, i want to do everything a university student does cos that's my right as a university student. I just have a steeper mountain to climb than most of you. I've already lost part of this brain, i do not want to lose anything else such as my social life.

But... to think of it objectively... safety seems to override everything in this case. I had long expected it to come to this, and i do not regret for once the path that i have taken.

I guess i've gotten quite used to this kind of treatment, an alternative route that i must take away from the rest. Since sec 3 i've been physically exempted up to JC level, though i still occasionally take part in sports games. In the army everyone could dream of getting my medical status. Every nook and cranny of my life revolves around safety, of preventing that fit from ever coming back, for example: my future wife must be medically trained, (one of the reasons i stepped into pharmacy fac), no flashing lights, no uncontrollable loud sounds, less computer games, no alcohol and clubbing, no performances on stage, no strenous activities, no extreme sports, less water sports... the list goes on and on. Sometimes i am so sick of all the constrains around me, but other times i just shrug, accept it, and move on.

Try as i may, there are some things that i cannot deviate from the truth.

Dispense-A-Dream '07
In a passing moment
8:59 pm

Comments: Post a Comment
About Myself
Name: Tan Yong Qiang
Birthday: 19 Nov 1984
Primary profession: Student in NUS Pharmacy
Secondary profession: Audiophile
email: whyqueue@hotmail.com

Where I Came From
Primary Sch: Fuhua Primary, 1991-1996; 1H-4H, 5B, 6B
Secondary Sch: Commonwealth Sec, 1997-2000: 1B, 2B, 3S1, 4S1
Junior College: National JC, 2001-2002, 01S25, 01S29
National Service: Singapore Armed Forces, Army, 6th Division, Jan 2003-May 2005
Tertiary: National University of Singapore, Aug 2005-Present

Character
Likes having fun. Being with friends. Listening to music.
Introverted if don't know u well
A person with epilepsy.
Dreamer.
Problem-solver.
Hesitant and procrastinating.
Pulling up my CAP

Wish List
Make it through Pharmacy course
To be happy every moment of my life
Take care of myself
To be a better man

-Words from 21st Birthday-
whyqueue@21yo

-Credits-
Design

-Recollections-
February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006

-Rubbish Bin-

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com